Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] AIA reply to snoopy by macdunk

From: mixtrader <mixtrader@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:10:50 +1300

An interesting discussion

I take a slightly different approach in terms of definition

A share's value is really the sum of two parts - the value of the assets in
place, and the present value of growth opportunities (ie future
opportunities of the firm to invest in high-return projects).  The
Price-Earnings (P/E) ratio reflects the market's assessment of the growth
opportunities.

One of the problems I see is in obtaining a good assessment of the firm's
earnings - reported earnings are based on generally accepted accounting
principles (GAAP) which calculate depreciation based on IRD "rules of thumb"
rather than true rates of depreciation.  Also, methods of valuation of the
firms assets (in particular inventories, but also fixed assets, brands and
goodwill) and the treatment of certain classes of expenditure (capitalised
and depreciated, or fully expensed over current year) can impact on reported
earnings.  The revaluation of assets can be particularly distortionary to
reported earnings.

I don't think there is a simple answer to arriving at either a "true"
assessment of the value of growth opportunities, or a "true" assessment of
the firms earnings and as such I tend to view P/E ratios as benchmarks
rather than absolute numbers.  I generally tend to avoid stocks with high
P/E ratios on the basis that the market appears to be paying a lot for the
earnings potential of those firms and that generally mid range P/E (say 11 -
16) ratio firms are earning the share price back quicker.

Maybe it's because I am only a little fella that I keep remembering the old
school yard jingle - "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" and
translate it to "the higher they are, the further they fall".