Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] AIA reply to snoopy by macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:28:38 +1300

Hi mixtrader,

>One of the problems I see is in obtaining a good assessment of the
>firm's earnings - reported earnings are based on generally accepted
>accounting principles (GAAP) which calculate depreciation based on
IRD
>"rules of thumb" rather than true rates of depreciation.

My understanding is that some of these depreciation and goodwill
amortisation issues are being addressed as NZ moves towards more
internationally accepted accounting rules.

>Also,
> methods of valuation of the firms assets (in particular inventories,
> but also fixed assets, brands and goodwill) and the treatment of
> certain classes of expenditure (capitalised and depreciated, or fully
> expensed over current year) can impact on reported earnings.

Do you have any particular concerns that AIA has distorted their
accounts with regard to these specific issues you have raised?

>The revaluation of assets can be particularly
>distortionary to reported earnings.

I think in the case of AIA the land revaluation, at least as it has been
handled so far,  is justified.  Land does not depreciate and to have it
stuck on the books at some historic snapshot value seems to me to be
equally distortionary 'the other way around'.  The airport land has been
revalued in accordance with the level of income that can be derived from
it.  Given the scarcity of the land on what is a unique site, I cannot see
that is liable to plunge in value during any future property cycle in the
way CBD office buildings do.

However, although in theory an ideal stay in New Zealand (from the
point of view of AIA) would be to have the airport so grid locked that
incoming passengers are forced to spend hours at the site spending
money, I think most passengers want to 'get the hell out of there' as fast
as possible.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy