Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2003

Re: [sharechat] AIA reply to snoopy by macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:22:08 +1300

Hi Macdunk,

>Sorry to contradict you snoopy

Hey, don't apologise, go right ahead :-).   This is one of the things that
makes this forum interesting.  People with differing views.

>but you are missing a few very
>important points In the macdunk strategy. Lets take one of your
shares
>WRI for Instance.   I will round the numbers slightly to keep the
>mathematics understandable. Todays price = $1.50    PE 10.94  Yld
>11.44.   That Is todays numbers the point you miss Is lets say you
>bought them four years ago at 75c which means that your PE Is half,
>and your yield double relative to what to today's figures show.

I take your point.   However, WRI is a little different from AIA.  WRI
was a real market dog at one point.  AIA has never been that.   WRI is
on a P/E of 11.  AIA is on a  P/E of 26.   That amounts to a big
difference in the earnings expectations of each share.

Nevertheless if you look at the WRI numbers you have provided in
isolation, they illustrate your point.  It is another way of looking at the
compounding effect of earnings over time.

One of Warren Buffett's most often repeated quotes is that:

"It is far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price , than a fair
company at a wonderful price."

The question I am asking you is not
"Is AIA a wonderful company?" (the answer to that is 'yes', no doubt
about it).
The question is,
"Is $6.60 a fair price for AIA, given the upside risk and the downside
risk?"

>In my original post I likened It to buying a house.    I stated that
>It Is better to pay slightly more than what It Is worth today to get
>what you want, because next year the price Is right, and the year
>after you have a bargain.

Yes, except that house prices do not go up evenly every year.  House
prices could be flat for five years.   In that scenario, having your money
in a house is a lost opportunity cost.

>Lets keep AIA figures confined to
>2003 and do some more sums.    On the 15th of Jan 2003 aia was
$5.46
>today they are $6 61 with a PE of 26.66 and a yld of 4.97 but hey If I
>bought In Jan at $5.46 I must recalculate My PE Is lower and my yld
>higher.  My strategy Is to find companies that are Increasing their
>earning potential, and dump the ones that have ended their run.

I think your strategy is fundamentally sound.   However, I see a couple
of hooks in the execution of it.  Remember when the WRI earnings fell
thios year, yet the share price still went up?    Well the reverse effect is
possible too.   AIA earnings might go up, but the share price could fall.

The hook I see in your strategy is that if the AIA share price was $4 or
$10 at the start of the year your startegy wouldn't change.    Because
AIA is on a 'growth path' you would buy in regardless of the share
price.   Regardless of how well the underlying business is actually
doing, you seem to regard $4, $5.40 or $10 as equally valid entry
prices as long as an uptrend in business outlook is intact.

Yet it is obvious to me that buying in at $4 would be far less risky than
buying in at $5.40.  You claim you will be able to 'get out' at any sign of
trouble.  But in my experience high P/E shares can fall very hard very
fast.

I suspect that because of all the new airlines coming into Auckland a
PE of around 26 can be justified for now, given the outlook for the
coming year.   However, I don't think you have explained why a P/E of
26 can be justified in FY2005 when the historic average PE for this
share is 'only' around 20.

>You are right In one respect,
>  This share wont grow at 20pc pa forever, but
> for the moment and the next couple of years It will.

That is a statement of faith.  Actual earnings per share have risen
2.6%, 2.5%, 21.1%, 15.4%, 20.3% and 30% since the company was
made public.  But these earnings incorporate two rounds of significant
property valuations.

The only way I can see your prediction coming true is if further
significant property revaluations happen in the next two years.

An AIA share price of $8 in a years time would mean the company is
priced to perfection.  I'm not saying it can't happen.   But I would be
balancing the risk of that against the risk that the share price could
revert to an historic mean PEof 20.   Such a reversion would see the
share price fall to around $5 with no change in earnings.   I'm not
saying that this will happen. I am saying that the potential for gains do
not outweigh the potential losses in my eyes.

Of couse if my entry price was $5.40 then a share price plunge to $5
would not faze me too much.    I am sure that most long term holders of
AIA would be happy to hold at those prices.   But buying in today at
$6.60 is another matter.

>The PE means
>nothing to me or the yield all I look for Is a well run company that
>is Increasing Its profits at a faster than normal rate

A P/E of 26 is not just a number.  A P/E of 26 does mean:
"a well run company that is increasing its profits at a faster than normal
rate."

>  All calculations must be done at the buy In price,

I agree.   But there is a significant difference between a buy price of
$5.40 and $6.60.

SNOOPY

discl: no AIA shares held

--