Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

[sharechat] reply to snoopy

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:13:14 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

I will try and answer all your questions snoopy. First up they didn't In the old days have treated wood to use and the houses didn't rot out and leak.  The reason being the design suited the materials used, and on top of that the people that built them understood what wouldn't work. today we have every tom dick and harry design houses, and they don't have a clue about anything, all they are good at Is drawing nice pictures.  We are supposed to use materials with a life expectancy of twelve years, to hold the weather out of a building that Is supposed to have a life expectancy of more than fifty years.   If you used treated wood on the exterior walls of a stucco house It would still leak, but the house would survive, It would only be wall linings, and the flooring at risk.  That would allow time to have It fixed until the next time.  The only countries In the world that use treated wood In buildings are  AUS and NZ. The greens will have there way, and It will be banned here before long.  The people that are Inclined to be sued In all this are the exterior cladders, and manufacturers of the cladding systems.   Carter holt don't fall Into that category. we use finger jointed finishing lines In the trade which are great, {uniform length knot free good product}. One of the carter holt people told me they Intend to finger joint framing timber In the future making pruning unnecessary. Finger jointing timber only means the timber will be knot free and therefore straighter with virtually very little waste. The problem today Is people want a rollsroyce job and the builder Is expected to do It with lada parts. Carter holt Introduced kiln dried untreated wood In 1996 I think, could be wrong but there about. good product but unsuitable In exterior walls that cant breathe or areas Inclined to be damp or wet. Exterior walls that cant breathe will all ways leak, sooner more than later. To a novice house buyer, stick to brick or weather boards or after that find a good old time builder and ask what not to do first. To all the people In those stucco houses sell up before It all hits the fan because It Is going to In a big way and your pride and joy will be worth very little. The building guarantees are not worth the paper they are written on.   The builder only has to wind the company up, and start all over again under a new name.  I know of one builder that has been bankrupt twice, and became quite rich from doing so, he Is now building bigger and better.  What to do about all this Is to go back to where It started to go wrong, and start from there, only this time lets do It the right way. I would suggest 1980 as the starting point, with all products and systems after that date to be proved before allowing them on the market. People that design houses should have to have practical experience, and all builders registered, and not hiding behind a company name. More responsibility on the owners, and less on the councils, who are running like scared rabbits afraid to make decisions, costing owners heaps In engineers reports on stupid little common sense matters.  Building Inspectors should need to pass exams, before being allowed operate, {being a failed builder should not be a pass mark}. Would you believe that I know a master builder that cant hammer a nail In and never has?, so fix the lot Is the answer,It requires total clean out.
                cheers macdunk
wet days are great