Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: Re: [sharechat] Building codes revised at last by macdunk

From: "mvanv" <mvanv@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:06:09 +1200

Hi Macdunk, Snoopy

>  I do notice they
> don't prune the pine trees now and I take it they will be finger
> jointing the framing In the future. How will this effect the markets
> and what companies to avoid .  The makers of the faulty materials will
> be sued I would think and some of the others wont have a product to
> sell.

I was under the impression they haven't stopped pruning completely
MacDunk.   Just that they aren't trimming them so often! Besides how
do you know that those CHH trees are going into building?   They may
be being exported as whole logs.  They may be being turned into pulp.

Also can you explain for those non builders among us how 'finger
jointing the frames' will prevent the problems you see coming if
untrimmed trees are used to make up house framing?

excellent posting Macdunk
If I understand correctly finger joining is carried out to remove knot from sawn timber
Unpruned trees have more and larger knots in the sawn timber
Finger joining is quite a bit of extra processing to get the same knot free timber which
you get from pruned trees.( or is the finger joint timber better quality than timber from pruned trees)
Unpruned logs could be exported or pulped but these are both lower value products
than good quality sawn timber.

PS; I worked at a carter holt sawmill for a short time in the not to distant past
The thing I will always remember most about carter holt was the appalling relationship
between managment and staff (Tokoroa's not the only mill with problems)

Mick

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] Building codes revised at last by macdunk mvanv