Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

Re: [sharechat] Building codes revised at last by macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:44:28 +1200

Hi Macdunk,

>The building code Is about to be overhauled at last.
>Treated timber Is only used In aus and nz In house
>building so that must tell you something

I'm a bit confused with this statement Macdunk.   Below you talk about
untreated wood, but here you say the NZ building code requires
treated wood.   Can you please clarify?

>Untreated wood must be allowed to breathe as It
>was fifty years ago In nz and until they come round to
>working that out nothing will change.

What happens when you build a house using treated wood framing
and a stucco finish?   I guess you are saying that it still absorbs water,
but because it is treated it doesn't matter?

>Carter holt did start this untreated wood system but that's not the
>whole story They cant be blamed for the leaky buildings.

Can you give us the history about when/why/how the Carter Holt
instituted practice of using untreated timber for houses came about?

>  I do notice they
> don't prune the pine trees now and I take it they will be finger
> jointing the framing In the future. How will this effect the markets
> and what companies to avoid .  The makers of the faulty materials will
> be sued I would think and some of the others wont have a product to
> sell.

I was under the impression they haven't stopped pruning completely
MacDunk.   Just that they aren't trimming them so often! Besides how
do you know that those CHH trees are going into building?   They may
be being exported as whole logs.  They may be being turned into pulp.

Also can you explain for those non builders among us how 'finger
jointing the frames' will prevent the problems you see coming if
untrimmed trees are used to make up house framing?

SNOOPY

discl:  Part owner of CHH, and not wanting to be sued!

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02