Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

[sharechat] Building codes revised at last by macdunk

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:15:49 +1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)

The building code Is about to be overhauled at last. I do notice however that they still don't understand the problem. They still seem to think Its bad builders at fault not the silly system and bad materials.  Spanish style stucco houses with timber exterior walls should be condemned.  Regardless of who builds it, It will be a disaster waiting to happen.  Anyone wanting a Spanish style plaster house do It in reinforced blocks and plaster It the way the Spaniards do It.  We In NZ want everything on the cheap.    Builders are forced to tender knowing In advance that the cheapest price gets the job.    Is It any wonder that some of them take short cuts.  I have tendered In the past for jobs only to find that the builder that got the jobs price was cheaper than my cost of material.  We don't train the apprentices properly They get It all to easy so It means nothing when they finish.  Treated timber Is only used In aus and nz In house building so that must tell you something Its not the timber Its the design and system.  Untreated wood must be allowed to breathe as It was fifty years ago In nz and until they come round to working that out nothing will change. The old time builders knew that and some of there houses are over 100yrs old and still as good as ever.  Carter holt did start this untreated wood system but that's not the whole story They cant be blamed for the leaky buildings.  I do notice they don't prune the pine trees now and I take it they will be finger jointing the framing In the future. How will this effect the markets and what companies to avoid .  The makers of the faulty materials will be sued I would think and some of the others wont have a product to sell.    A builder can only build what the plan shows and that Is where most faults are to be found.   I have refused to build a number of homes because I knew It was wrong and couldn't convince the silly people to change.  I hate to say It but the most Incompetent In the building trade are the building Inspectors. Most of them are only builders that were to Incompetent to make It and had to do that for a living.
              cheers macdunk