Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] Re: (sharechat) Is there a difference?

From: "Bruce Harris" <bruce99@freemessage.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2001 14:36:50 -0000

Re: The analogy with Qantas New Zealand's collapse, I think there are some
strong similarities to note:

a) New Zealand has ended up with a NZ owned and based monopoly- this is a shame
to some extent but I think the NZ public were not too upset at "Qantas" demise,
being the embarrassment of an Aussie brand at least. Similarly now Aussies are
quite clearly not uncomfortable at all with a Qantas monopoly, with NZ being a
convenient scapegoat for the short term pain of downsizing the staff involved
in australia's airline industry to a realistic and more efficient level.

b)A second airline is a difficult thing to run profitably- Ansett Australia may
have had more chance than a NZ airline if only because of the economies of
scale- counting against that was the obvious union based fatness of Ansett
Australia.

c)The shareholders get a lot of the blame- I think in the case of Qantas NZ in
fact the shareholders were criticised too harshly- largely for being wealthy.
In fact they at least put up the cash and lost a lot of money in a short space
of time. The real Qantas got the benefit of a NZ airline without any real risk-
here I disagree with the last comment- that Qantas had no moral obligation to
the collapse in NZ. I think they had as much moral obligation as Air NZ in
Ansett's case. In fact given that Air NZ has fronted with $1.2 billion to date,
and clearly put their hand up somewhat in advance of the collapse, arguably the
moral obligation in Air NZ's case is not huge.(The biggest moral obligation in
fact should have been to have pursued with the Australian government/ unions
far earlier than they apparently did, to downsize the Ansett business to a
sustainable business. 5000 jobs are better than none.) Legal obligations
clearly may take some time to resolve. ;

d)In both cases then NZ has put up nearly all the money ( unless Aussie Banks
actually wear some of the Ansett debt), and although its hard to pick winners
in such circumstances, Qantas is sitting pretty in Aussie and comfortable in
NZ. Overall a huge transfer of wealth from NZ to Oz.

Bruce

> Didn't we here in paradise have another domestic airline a short while
> ago that was owned by Qantas and left to sink with all the job losses
> and costs dumped on us? Wasn't this exactly the same thing that
> happened with Air NZ and Ansett?

No.

Qantas New Zealand was a totally New Zealand owned franchise.  It hired out
the Qantas name to trade.  Qantas had no other financial interest it and no
obligation, moral or legal, to step in.

Jeremy

Sign up for your FREEMessage account at
http://www.freemessage.com

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] xtra.co.nz jerrold poh