Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: [sharechat] Isaac Sofaer's view

From: "Colin Ross" <ceejaynz@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:57:36 +1300

Pharmaceuticals..
After the introduction of effective Public hygeine ( Sewerage & Clean Potable water) probably Penicillin and its derivatives (Antibiotics as a class ) have been one of the most effective benefits to influence  health otcomes in the 20th Century.
Yet, Alexander Fleming donated Penicillin to the world !!!  I dont think we will see the like of that kind of magnanimity again...
There will soon be a pressing need for anti-microbials to take the place of Antibiotics - they have almost been done to death. The cupboard is rather bare for future releases. Until now, there has usually been a good stock of variants to release to the market when the need becomes apparent ( and the profit dictates).
We are beginning to get access to some useful anti-viral drugs, largely as a result of  intensive research into HIV/AIDS.
There will be enormous opportunities for whomsoever can find a replacement for Antibiotics, and I'm sure the work is being done, probably in the area of genetic engineering - to find ways of attacking microbes without damaging their hosts.
Nerve and Brain Chemistry will offer good opportunities - Alzheimers ,  Parkinsons,  Mad Cow prions, are all likely to feature in our futures as we now live so much longer.......
I think the big winners will be the Companies that have the big bucks to invest, and the encouragement to get satisfactory returns.
The ( particularly in NZ)  trend to beat Drug prices down to the lowest common Generic equivalent, has a detrimental influence on  research.  A good number of international drug Companies have already stopped providing service to New Zealand..
I must say I am pleased to be out of it now..
Gerry, thank you for your thoughtful and careful analyses through the year.
I now have a special folder labelled "Stolwyk"
Regards and greetings to all
Ceejay