Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

RE: [sharechat] Telecom & XTRA

From: Rhys Lewis <rhys.lewis@zivo.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:03:06 +1200

The cellular market is another interesting one.

Vodafone is cleaning up with their SMS service, which Telecom has had
extreme difficulty matching.  Do you know _anyone_ who has ever successfully
sent an SMS message from a Nokia 5120i?  (The only phone supposed to be able
to do it).

SMS is big money in the UK, with Vodafone over there pulling in GBP10M+ per
month, one can only assume that they are also cleaning up here.

There is no indication that Telecom will have any workable SMS service
working before the end of the year, and when they do there will be the
problem of legacy analog phones not being able to receive etc.

Telecom is also way behind on WAP implementation, with sketchy results from
their pilot, whereas Vodafone has rolled the service out.

I predict that these problems will contribute to considerable loss of
business to Telecom Cellular over the next 6-10 months.

However after that time the tables will turn dramatically if Telecom can
manage to get CDMA to market.  If they do, they will be in a position to
offer phones with far greater capability than Vodafone's GSM, and the
upgrade path for Vodafone is much more difficult.  WAP might look good now
when there is no other competition, but a 2G or 3G CDMA rollout will make it
look like the stone age.

So I predict bad news for at least 6 months, and then a possible turn around
if they can get over the technical hurdles and deliver CDMA.

TEL prob. a good buy around Oct - Nov.

Rhys Lewis