Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

[sharechat] Telecom & XTRA

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 10:33:47 +1200

Hi Ben
        Where did the data come from that you posted yesterday ? Was it just a
routine announcement from TEL ?
        I4free was not mentioned but they now have 83,200 subscribers (as at
26/06/00) and they say they have spend over $2.6m on technical
infrastructure and modems to give extra carrying capacity.

        I am not sure about pre XTRA account customers still using their
services.
I am still an XTRA account holder but now my use is almost zero. There must
be many like me.

        Sometimes there is congestion on I4free but generally I have found the
service good.  I have often been linked for several hours without being
disconnected.

        I suppose the $64,000 question is will TEL float XTRA  which was muted
earlier. It is apparent that TEL have their hands full at present battling
Clear, Vodafone and  Telstra Saturn for package deals with most of the
activity out of Auckland. They must be temporarily relieved that the Govt.
inquiry has not required them to unbundle the loop, but this must surely
happen eventually or will it be so important in the future with
wireless/satellite communication developing.

With all that is happening with the big players the competition must be
good for the consumer.

        IMHO it is not surprising that TEL shares have fallen. The monopoly of
yesteryear has well and truly gone.  The relatively small cake which is the
NZ market is being divided up.  Who will end up with the biggest piece ?

Hope this provokes some discussion.

Regards
Brian