Re: [sharechat] TELing Idea

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:26:06 +1300

Hi Baa Baa,

>Rather than hold, at these
>lofty levels, I've sold 50% and will dump the remainder at the first
>sign of weakness. I don't have a lot of TEL, but I try to work the 4.5
> - 5.5 range, hence my view to take some profits, then be out, before
>the masses figure out TEL is actually operationaly flat.

There are plenty of analysts out there who follow TEL, so I doubt that
anyone will be getting much of a jump on anyone else with today's
result.

Despite the fiasco a few years ago when Telecom declared themselves
a 'growth stock' and halved their dividend, only to see the share price
halve as well, I'd be extremely surprised if many current shareholders
still believe TEL is a 'growth share'.

That means I don't expect a big exodus when people realise the
underlying profitability is hardly growing.   But by the same token, I'd
be extremely surprised if we saw Telecom at $4.50 again.   TEL at
$5.50 gives a projected gross yield of 8.3%.   Barring any unexpected
shocks I would expect the share price to creep up to around $6 which
gives a gross yield of 7.5%, even as bank term deposit rates rise to
around 6.5%.

The rider here is 'barring any unexpected shocks'.    Needless to say
*I* expect a few, even if Mr Market doesn't.   In my assessment at
$5.50, the upside and downside risks are finely balanced and TEL is
neither a buy nor a sell.  I guess that is why I 'hold' TEL :-)

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02