Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2004

Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] Reply David

From: "Woody" <solarmax@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:06:34 +1000

David
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
I was born and brought up in Java Indonesia, The language of Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia, However The language of Java is Javavese an offshoot of Sanskrit. Like Sanskrit Javanese is a multi-tiered language, it actually consists of three different languages with a shared gramatic structure. It is class orientated. Low Javanese, Middle Javenese and High Javenese ( there is actually a 4th called Royal Javanese, spoken by the royal family members only ) Low class people speak low Javanese to each other, however they must speak middle Javanese to Middle class and High Javanese to High Class.
We Dutch Indonesians were placed in the Middle class. The point is my Father always considered it wrong to speak to low class in Middle Javanese, He spoke and he taught us also to speak all levels and to speak to each class in his or her own language, he considered it pedantic and rude to force low class people to struggle with higher  class languages than their own. It upset the status quo but we thought so what!

Nowadays Bahasa Indonesia is the great equaliser!

Woody

p.s. by the way my English has gotton better since I started with this chat group.