Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2004

Re: [sharechat] new website reply to woody by macdunk

From: robin benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:06:31 +0000

On 25 Jan 2004, at 09:21, David & Jill Stevenson wrote:

> There is more an aspect of elemental psychology to this question than
> simply desire for possession of money per se .The  Biblical statement
> from which the words are sourced would have been better explained by
> use of a parable.
>    Money is simply a noticeable symbol,  a representation and
> measurement of the potential for power over others to be exercised at
> the choice of the possessor . I sense that the intent behind the
> Biblical meaning implies a psychological imbalance as with somebody
> with a chip on the shoulder for right or wrong reason to acquire money
> as if some revenge mechanism to compensate for actual or perceived
> past grievances .

What about security, or a real requirement for liquidity, as with
merchants?

>    On the issue of need to display qualifications eg PHD`s etc. We
> have the human parallel of the peacock flaunting and  displaying it`s
> beautiful but what others might regard as ridiculously cumbersome tail
> for advantage or simply to impress. Academic qualifications are only
> effective within a system.

Absolutely the case. And the more developed/old the system is, the more
effective. I'm constantly amazed of the difference (just a matter of
extent ultimately) in perception between NZ and the UK regarding the
right marks following somebody's name. Two  issues here in the UK right
now are pensions/investments and testimony of so-called "expert"
witnesses in court. It takes some fairly spectacular failures here to
get people to question the judgement  of people with the right
qualifications, appearance and accent. Similarly, it takes some
high-profile legal cases (currently in the context of cot-death vs.
suspicious child death) involving expert testimony of a small group of
people (the testimony of whom is presented as if it were fact). And of
course, any business plan that pushes the right buttons will involve an
emphasis on qualifications. Qualifications impress.

>    Tony Gibbs left school at 15 and became what I would call a
> universal human being through the world of hard knocks and totally
> self taught life experience. That is why he and Sir Ron Brierley are
> such a perfect team. For the life of me I cannot imagine the latter,
> who did not complete his Accountancy qualifications, seeking a right
> hand man - proceeding to advertise  -examining CV`s of potential
> candidates - establishing a short list and  then going through
> conventional steps to make an appointment .No !  Simple gut feelings
> about the man in front of him would have outweighed otherwise text
> book procedures.
>
>    Sir Robert Jones once said he would never employ an Accountant
> rather he would prefer an applicant with a philosophical bent alone.
> Whether that was eccentricity talking  who knows .

I heard this, but the "arts graduate" version. Bob Jones does tend to
follow through with *most* of what he says. I remember the image of him
alone in his office at the top of Robert Jones House in Wellington
peering out at the staff of the building who had gathered outside for a
fire-drill. He was constantly writing letters to the Fire Service, some
of which were quite amusing if I remember correctly.

Regards

Robin