Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2004

Re: Re: [sharechat] new website reply to woody by macdunk

From: "David & Jill Stevenson" <djstevo@quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:21:30 +1300

There is more an aspect of elemental psychology to this question than simply desire for possession of money per se .The  Biblical statement from which the words are sourced would have been better explained by use of a parable.
   Money is simply a noticeable symbol,  a representation and measurement of the potential for power over others to be exercised at the choice of the possessor . I sense that the intent behind the Biblical meaning implies a psychological imbalance as with somebody with a chip on the shoulder for right or wrong reason to acquire money as if some revenge mechanism to compensate for actual or perceived past grievances . Or a less complicated individual appreciating the power that money represents . Consequent envy by others might be an attraction. So it is not just the affect on the acquirer but the negatives created in others  as well that is the concern. A parallel is with short people striving for political power over others . I don`t think I draw too long a bow here.

   On the issue of need to display qualifications eg PHD`s etc. We have the human parallel of the peacock flaunting and  displaying it`s beautiful but what others might regard as ridiculously cumbersome tail for advantage or simply to impress. Academic qualifications are only effective within a system.
   Tony Gibbs left school at 15 and became what I would call a universal human being through the world of hard knocks and totally self taught life experience. That is why he and Sir Ron Brierley are such a perfect team. For the life of me I cannot imagine the latter, who did not complete his Accountancy qualifications, seeking a right hand man - proceeding to advertise  -examining CV`s of potential candidates - establishing a short list and  then going through conventional steps to make an appointment .No !  Simple gut feelings about the man in front of him would have outweighed otherwise text book procedures.

   Sir Robert Jones once said he would never employ an Accountant rather he would prefer an applicant with a philosophical bent alone. Whether that was eccentricity talking  who knows .

          David Stevenson