Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] POT and Snoopy

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:39:24 +0000

Hi Travis,

>Interesting to note is that McNiven says he forwarded
>the transcript to Buffett who replied that he does
>*not* use valuation strategies like those described in
>Buffettology.
>
>He never said quite what strategies he does use, just
>not the  {EPS = book value x ROE
>Retained earnings = EPS - dividend
>Book value next year = book value this year + retained
>earnings} method of projecting EPS.

I haven't had the privilige of sitting around the dinner table with
Warren Buffett, although ex- daughter in law Mary Buffett, co-author
of Buffetology has.

I don't suppose that Mary was ever part of the true 'inner circle'
(I am not aware of her ever being employed by Berkshire Hathaway) and
I suspect what inner knowledge she has put in the Buffettology
books has been further simplified for a popular print.

However, I don't think, Travis, you are arguing that the basic idea
of viewing buying shares in a company as a kind of 'long term bond'
is not what Buffett does.  Indeed you are on record as using this
approach yourself, albeit perhaps in a slightly more sophisticated
way than the way Mary Buffett presents the method.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"