Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] magic buttons by macdunk; 3G in UK.

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:18:36 +0000

There's an old saw that goes something like "If tou want to get rich,
you son of a bîtch, I'll tell you what to do. Never sit down with a
tear or a frown and paddle your own canoe". Pretty much sums it up I
think, except I'd add that it's good to listen to a range of views
before starting to paddle.

I'm confused MacDunk. On the one hand you're telling us to use
commonsense and take what others say with a truckload of Siberian salt,
and then you outline the universe according to MacDunk. What yardstick
are we supposed to use to measure that against? You say a lot about
winners and losers in the market, but then make a nil disclosure. Does
that mean your money is in the bank, waiting for the Iraq situation to
find some sort of direction (you wouldn't be alone). Also, you make
reference to people laying on the "bullshît". I must admit, I haven't
detected, for the most part, anybody here seriously intent on deceiving
anybody. Most people make disclosures following their postings if they
discuss specific stocks.

If you know anything about statistics, you'll know that collecting 18%
on a single  share could be quite easily the result of throwing a dart
at a board. Sustained results of 10%+pa, however, have my admiration.

3G in UK (and beyond) - general observations.

I note that here in the UK the telcos are ramping up their
picture-messaging advertising bigtime, and 3G, a Hutchison-Whampoa
venture, are looking for a billion pounds of investment in the UK
infrastructure, so clearly they're looking to take a punt but share
some of the heat. They have shown themselves to be players who do their
sums very carefully before stepping into a sector, and are looking like
their timing is second to none. Observers of the telco sector might
note that H-W sold out of Orange not quite at the top of the tech
bubble but not too far off, and have signalled through their 3G
activity that they want a slice of the telco action again. This of
course against the background of some 18 billion pounds paid by Orange,
Vodaphone, etc., to the UK government for 3G licenses. It's going to be
an interesting next few years.

Anybody remember WAP?

Cheers

Robin