Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: [sharechat] airva

From: "Jeremy" <jeremy@electrosilk.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:43:29 +0800

> According to "the press" it is because Richard Branson
> may sell VirginBlue which is good for airnz as Branson
> has a few dollars to spend against airnz.
>  If an Australian bought it then that gives them
> automatic flying rights in NZ. How can this be good
> for airnz? more competition!!!
>  Sometimes I wonder if the market works inversly!

You might have noticed that Qantas has risen 60% since September and 10%
since last Wednesday (including an amusing slump and recovery on Thursday
where investors in the morning thought that laying off staff was bad, and in
the afternoon thought laying off staff was good)

It appears irrational Qantas should rise on rumours of a Virgin sale.  I can
only guess that speculators expect that whoever replaces Branson will be
measurably less competent and hence less of a threat.

Jeremy