Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

[sharechat] Technical obscurities

From: Will Bryant <will@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:16:09 +1300

Several matters.  First, Jerrold and others, please do not talk about
forging email on sharechat.  Forging is not only unethical, it is also (as
far as anyone can tell) illegal.  I don't like spam either but this is not
the place to discuss revenge attacks.

Also, you should be aware that you have no real indication who actually
sent the spam.  An acquaintance of mine has had his email address "stolen",
that is, put in as the sender of many thousands of spam
messages.  Consequentially he has received hundreds of irate messages from
unfortunate spam recipients.  Bear in mind that any retaliation you launch
may in fact hurt only a third party who had no involvement with the
spamming.  If you want to do something about it the best thing is to submit
it to the anti-spam registries.

Secondly, Snoopy concerning your problems with Phaedrus, you refer to the
RFC requirements for messages encoded using quoted-printable.  However,
none of the posts I have seen from Phaedrus have been encoded using
quoted-printable, so AFAIK your information is not directly relevant (I
believe the MIME specification allows up to 998 characters for some of the
other encodings and has no limits for others).  However, as you note many
of the posts from Phaedrus are quite long, and this is presumably the cause
of the problem.

Jerrod, the mailing list is not doing anything that would unwrap or
re-encode the message body so IMHO it is not going to be anything to do
with the problem.  Nor have there been any changes of note to the software
involved recently.  Emails will only be sent to the list if they are below
a certain size, but those that exceed that size are either not sent at all
or if I approve them sent on in their entirety - they are never truncated.

Snoopy, I suspect your problem is due to the POP3 server you use, I once
had a similar issue where emails I received that had very long lines were
incorrectly interpreted by the POP server, in fact the email in question
often ended up with the following email tacked on the end - very messy (the
bug was subsequently fixed and so the problem went away when I upgraded the
POP server).

The other two suspects are the SMTP server you use, or your mail
client.  You probably can't do much if it is the POP or SMTP server but if
it's a big problem for you it would be worth testing them out in more detail.

Finally, it's not a big issue but it would actually be best if everyone
just ignored any spam that does manage to make it through (incidentally, we
will be implementing some measures that should get rid of it completely in
the near future) - we always remove the spam itself from the archive so
responding to it just adds to the clutter.

I think any further discussion on any of these matters would probably be
best taken off-list, since it isn't of interest to most of our users.  (As
always, you are welcome to contact me with any technical problems using our
lists.)

Will Bryant                                 ShareChat technical manager
will@sharechat.co.nz                        http://www.sharechat.co.nz/

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] NZSE40 nick