Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

Re: Re: Re: Re: [sharechat] Fundamental and Technical Analysis

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:52:42 +1300

Brian,

What I said in my previous post is consistent with what you mention!

There are holders and there are traders. I am a holder.

I may not like traders but recognize that they exist. Who am I to tell them what to do!

Systems exists and need to be recognized.
If somebody told me that he had a new system reading entrails, then I would be sympathetic.

 I would try to keep a straight face because I really want to know if he was making any money!

 And if he showed me that he consistently was making a lot of money, I bet you, I would be reading entrails as well!

I am a son of a Dutch farmer. We exported a lot of stuff. I have been a NZer for nearly 50 years. And what is the topic of conversation of these people thousands of miles apart:

Farm and product  price  trends, looking at their behaviour over a number of years ( graphs or charts ).

I remember that we used to sell products ahead. These then became part of futures trading conducted by others. Did they use charts? Yes!

And when the time comes when they want to sell the farm, they approach the real estate agent or others for additional advice: Shall I sell now or later?

 Answer: Wait till later when we are closer to prices peaking ( Suitable point of exit strategy ).

You may never sell a farm but that is not the point, is it!

You may never use a graph if you don't want to. In any case as you have an additional business, there may not be any need to!

But others have to buy or sell; the latter, because they sometimes may have to!
And...... much information you will get, comes from farm economists. Do they use charts? Yes!

Sure, they differ from those of a trader; every profession may
use different types of charts, don't they!

It so happens that I can get along well with traders. They are there, why shoot them?

What I am saying now is not directed at you but I do find that many people can only see things in black and white.

I think the reason is perhaps because these two colours are very much in use in sports: who wants to wear grey and be called a whimp!

I am with you all the way, Brian! And here is where my former Dutch upbringing and education comes through: Yes, TA people, I am with you all the way as well!

If you selected trading as your mode of existence, that is your business! But I won't admire you, if you can't make a dollar!

Gerry

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Richmond - Investor Interview Phil Boeyen