Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2001

Re: [sharechat] $885,000,000.. could fund a few hip transplants ??

From: "Ben Dutton" <bendutton@sharechat.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:47:29 +1000

Hi Peter, thanks for the post - good to read a "real-life" comparison like that.

To be honest, I don't think there's been much comment because people were pretty much expecting this to happen and...now that it has it's almost an anti-climax.  We are now all resigned to having our hard earned dollars thrown into a failed airline to keep it alive.

As for Michael Cullen's "crap" statement when asked whether the government dithered I don't think he's able to cover his ass (sorry for the pun) on this one.  The government's inaction and ideology against foreign ownership *is* part of the reason why this taxpayer bailout has occurred.

I guess if New Zealanders feel really strongly about this waste of money they can always vote with their ballots (and hopefully not feet - too many have left already).

But Peter, I wouldn't say a move to Australia is the answer, this country has its own problems and VB really is a terrible beer.

Best Regards

a very resigned, Ben Dutton