Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] brand names

From: "Gary Wilson - Brisbane" <fastmail@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:58:43 +1000

I hope my tongue in cheek comments in an earlier comment did not provoke Peter's comments (which I did not read).  As a Kiwi, but now Australian citizen I am very sad and disappointed about the whole Ansett saga which obviously will not enhance ANZAC relationships.  It is clear for all to see that Air NZ made an enormous error of judgement with Ansett - but it is possible to point to a number of steps in the subsequent chain of events and the surrounding environment that may have exacerbated the problems.

Its fairly hard to find any balanced commentary in this mornings (Aussie) papers - though to be fair some exists.  I must say I have been disappointed (or perhaps overly sensitive!) that even before this event many references to New Zealand are often proceeded with with a pejorative description - and on occasion some press articles describe a nation (i.e. NZ) that is very different to the one I spent many years in!

Australia and New Zealand are natural allies - has it not been a failure on both sides of the Tasman that Singapore has popped up in the middle of the ruck?

Instead of adding fuel to a downward spiral of accusation and resentment - this should be a wake up call to both nations to work much harder at the relationship.  This doesn't look likely just at the moment - hopefully it will come when the dust settles.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] halfwit air hugh webber