Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

Re: [sharechat] dpc

From: "Richard Hooper" <hoop@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:31:19 +1200

Hi Ryanrite.

Yes looking after Think Big Bill :)) ...mind you I cringed a bit when his name came up as a director for DPC as he has be mixed up with a number of political disasters in his day . I hope he has used up his disaster quota.
Yes ..don't forget the outside world and yes we NZers should invest globally, it is the way of the future as increasingly number of countries are freeing  up their business borders. I referred in my post my disgust ..more ..towards the financial flight of money especially last year when brokers and other media tried very hard to get NZ investors to invest in major overseas overcooked markets while our NZ market looked underdone and made worse by the mass sellout.
This flight effect may take years to correct as alot of this flight money has now evaporated due to the correction of the Major world markets, leaving NZers as a whole worse off. The timing was bad and even in hindsight, surely people & especially financial persons must  have known that  after 8 years of Bullmarkets a bear must surely be overdue to arrive, and advised their clients accordingly.
Also remember NZ and to some extent Australia always seem to be out of kilter with the major markets. Historically when USA Europe are slumping NZ is upturning and vice versa.

Note ....I am a medium to longterm investor in nature.

Why am I accumulaing DPC ?
A small company which tends to be overlooked by many . Has had 5 years of growth.. some years large growth. Many of its 19+m shares are locked up causing periods of surplus/scarcity of shares which in turn causes large swings in price to occassionally  occur. Yield about 7%(imputed) P/E  around 6  these numbers are exceptional for a company in growth mode. Since the price is imho very low I am accumulating. Sooner or later whether it is tommorrow or 2 years down the track this company is going to be noticed with a resulting herd stampede into a share which is only available in small numbers ...resulting probably in a rather quick rise in a small period of time...I want to be there when and if this happens ..Patience needed.

CAH?
This compamy is a typical commodity nightmare for me ..Invested when things looked bad in 1998 with Asian crash ..problems then with high debt and perceived poor management. Bought  more shares when they sold Copec & Trupan, which eased there dedt level and allowed to aquire businesses in Australia/Asia. (the share did not change much with this positive move). Now with wood products all being at their cyclic lows all at the same time ( a chance in a million?) CAH is doing imho bloody well considering. So when the upturn begins CAH should be well positioned to take full advantage. Keep takeover target in the back of your mind as well. Will shares be any cheaper ?  $1.60 seems a major resistance point. so I am buying now and will wait..Patience.

GPG ?
 I am regretably a late entry to this fine company which I think speaks for itself. IMHO it was harsely treated during the Tech boom as a company run by the old school , like Buffet and co there was a perception that these guys had had their day.  In hindsight it was the Techees who had had their day and Buffet & Co including Brierly  who all had money in the bank and keeped away from this Tech madness are still here and stronger than ever. GPG price has risen alot but still imho undervalued ... remember this is a high growth/safe company so why shouldn't we have shares in it. It should make up a major proportion of any portfolio...as my portfolio is understrength in GPG I am accumulating.
Hope this long winded response answers your enquiries Ryanrite.

Cheers
Hoop

PS   I am regreting selling out of STU. think I sold too early here.
The other stocks I sold on ( AIA  BCH  SKC) are top quality stocks.. Don't get me wrong. I sold these stocks after +60% profit on my portfolio.
( money or the bag?... the MONEY!!! )