Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

Re: [sharechat] NGC loss

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:02:46 +0000

Hi RIL,

> A 300 mio loss and no one has anything to say about
> it.
>
> Why was Transalta bought? Why were the correct
> forecasts on electicity prices not made? Why were the
> price movements not hedged? Who is responsible?
>
> Do you no longer care about your money?

As a former shareholder in Tranalta "I care" RIL, which is why I
accepted the Natural Gas cash offer rather than the share swap offer.

Your post made me take a peek at my 'library of shame'.   This
collection of dubious literature includes the outrageously optimistic
Frucor prospectus, an Equitycorpse Annual report from the time just
before they went belly up, and (surprise, surprise) the Grant Samuel
and Associates valuation of Transalta, at the time of the NGC
takeover offer.

I quote from section 5.1:

"NGC has offered $2.79 cash for each Transalta share.  The NGC offer
is *above the valuation range* and accordingly the terms and
conditions are fair to the holders of Transalta ordinary shares not
associated with NGC"

By implication this reads the offer was *not* a good deal for NGC
shareholders (the buyers).

Then from 5.2.1

"However the assessment of the the NGC offer is concerned with the
realisable value of NGC shares immediately after the transaction.
*The decision to hold NGC shares is a separate investment decision to
be made by shareholders.*"

IMHO this was a gross abdication of responsibility by Grant Samuel.
They were approaching the merger with the idea that people getting
NGC shares that it was not their responsibility to give any
indication on the outlook for their new investment.

Grant Samuel stated:

"The NGC share price in effect represents a reasonable assessment of
value by a well informed market.  The NGC share price in effect
represents the consensus view of analysts and investors that follow
and scrutinise the company.  There is no basis for believing that an
individual external assessment of value would provide any more
reliable guide to the value of NGC shares than is provided by the
market price."

Which IMHO was the ultimate cop out.  Subsequent events have shown
that these 'analysts' actually had no idea how the NZ electricity
industry works, and that relying on the 'the market only' to be
able to provide an effective on-going evaluation of NGCs
future prospects was a very bad decision.

What is even more aggrevating reading this report again is this
comment under section 3.8.3:

"Retailers with a higher level of own generation, i.e. Contact
Energy, have a lower risk profile than Transalta and are
potentially in a better position to discount prices to attract new
customers.  It is also conceivable that generators will not bid
surplus capacity into the NZEM (which is optional) in an attempt to
increase spot prices to disadvantage retailers such as Transalta."

...which is exactly what happened!  So it would seem that Grant
Samuel did indeed have a good grip on what might happen, yet chose
*not* to emphasise the point!

To anyone who actually read the report between the lines, in detail,
the meaning was clear.  If you want to invest in the electricity
industry sell NGC and buy CEN.  If you compare the share prices of
each at the time of the offer and today NGC (~$1.50, now $1) and CEN
(~$2.60 now $3.30) you will see that the Grant Samuel advice was spot
on.  Fortunately for me, I followed this advice.

Pity Grant Samuel didn't emphasise that point to the hapless
Transalta shareholders who swapped their shares for NGC shares
though. SNOOPY

disclosure: ex-Transalta, now CEN shareholder.

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Dogs have big tongues, so you can bet they don't
bite them by accident"