Re: [sharechat] Fundamental vs Technical Analysis

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:30:20 +0000

> I stumbled across this very good article comparing fundamental and
> technical analysis. The conclusion? A hybrid system is best. Use
> both.
> http://www.marketmasters.com.au/articles/article_fundamentalanalysis
> .html

Well, I have to admit -recently- that I use a crude form of charting
when buying shares locally, looking for double bottoms and double
tops on the 'Stockwatch' chart when putting in my 'buy' and 'sell'
prices  (I almost never put in an order at market).

So personally I wouldn't disagree too much with the idea of using
fundamentals to select your shares and technical signals to pick the
right buy/sell times.   But I remember buying into BHP not long after
the 1987 crash.  The price was floating around $6-$8 from memory.   I
bought in at $6.60, but 12 years on, and with the share trading at
over $22, I wouldn't have been too upset at having to pay $8 (the top
of the trading range) way back then.

I think part of the attraction of charting is that people (myself
included) like to buy what they see as a bargain, and snaring
something at the bottom of a trading range makes them feel good.
But looking longer term, (as per my example above), I'm not sure if
it really matters that much, from a investor's point of view. SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."