[sharechat] Technical Analysis

From: "George Hill" <ghill@buzzavox.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:23:14 +1200

There seem to be two issues in this thread:

a) which is the better software package, Henley or Metastock; and

b) is technical analysis worthwhile.

They're not the same thing.

I purchased Henley Investor Suite earlier this year, probably on the basis
that I should use every tool possible to help me with my sharemarket
decisions. As it happened, I used it for a few weeks then gave up. It seemed
fine for technical analysis (I have no experience with Metastock, so can't
compare the two).

The main reason I've stopped using Henley Investor is that I prefer to
invest rather than trade: it doesn't suit my investment style to be
analysing charts from every possible angle. One thing that my impulsive
purchase of Henley Investor HAS taught me (a rather expensive way of
learning)is that I prefer not to have to worry about tracking the rise or
fall in stocks on an intra-day or even day-by-day basis.

I should add that I only deal in NZSE stocks ... perhaps if I had a
reasonable portfolio in a more liquid market, I might feel differently. But
I suspect not: life has enough stress without adding the hourly vagaries of
market.

So far my less-is-more strategy has proved very profitable, without the
angst of a more hands-on approach.

George Hill

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] EVZ - Do the right thing Bob