Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: [sharechat] Re: FFS

From: Gerry Tyler-Smith <g.tylersmith@ext.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:00:43 +1300

Wow!  Thanks for those insights, esp on activities of underwriters.  Re log
prices in Korea... I asked  Arthur Lim about that, and he said it was the
world  oversupply of logs, that really  mattered, not individual customers.
Apparently when the prices of logs were really high, several years ago,
Japanese coys investd a lot in infrastructure in Siberia, to extract logs,
which led to an oversupply. However, he maintains that logging
infrastucture, ie roads and transport, need to be expensively and
constantly renewed to stay close to the area of logging, and that as log
prices bottomed, that infrastructure would not be renewed, which would
eventually lead to a log shortage, and then rise in prices (ie, the typical
commodity price cycle).