Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2000

Re: [sharechat] Markets ?

From: jesse <johne777@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:20:49 +1300

Hi Mark
I take it that as you are only at the groaning stage, as opposed to the
sobbing stage, your loses are still bearable (no pun intended)!
For any Nasdaq stocks, I would get out now if you need the money early
next year.

Nasdaq is 7 months into a bear market,  if you call April the beginning.
The average bear market (in US markets anyway) lasts 18 months to two
years, so theres plenty left by that indicator.
There are plenty of people holding on, hoping that 1999 type rally is
just around the corner. And there probably will be the odd short
duration rally as bargain hunters step in, an election result happens
etc, but the trend is down.....you just aren't going to see a rally like
last year. It should have started 2 weeks ago. When the masses realise
nothings happening, they will jump.
Earnings warning season isnt far away. Last month was the worst for
ages, I think it will be worse still this quarter.
Also, individual US tax payers have until Dec 31st to sell their dogs to
claim tax loses. So losing stocks may come under more pressure....there
are plenty of losers around just now.
good luck

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: Re: [sharechat] Face the Nation jesse