Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] Interesting Article on P/E ratios etc

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:31:20 +1200

A few comments on the article Ben posted

The article constantly comes back to the fundamental aspects
of  profitability and dividends and the fact that compounding profits
determine the ultimate success of an organization.  What we now see in the
US are prices which are often completely unrelated to realistic profit
expectations.  That market is driven by price and I suggest that the
majority of private investors/traders wouldn't have a clue as to P/E or any
other indicators.  If the price is going up that is a good share to have -
nothing else. I wouldn't be surprised if the brokers help to pump up prices
by steering unknowledgeable private investors.

The NASDAQ is a unique phenomenon which IMO must eventually come back to
some sort of logical assessment - the only question being when..............
There have been constant fears of a major correction, which seem
temporarily to be more subdued as the over-optimism holds sway
but..................

All is driven by the so called 'technological revolution' . Whilst the
achievements in computer development and the Internet are remarkable and
all look to the success of Microsoft, Intel and others to be repeated IMO
we are headed for a levelling out which will see many of the high flying
ideas come to naught.

We can't compare the US & NZ markets.  As has been said before it is like
comparing cheese with chalk.
We can't use the same principles applying in the US to NZ.  A while ago on
Sharechat there was constant reference to how the NASDAQ was moving but Ben
posted (Back to the NASDAQ 1/8/00 ) that it had little bearing on the NZ
market.  I feel that we have to stick with fundamental measurement is
assessing NZ shares. If we try the rising price idea (if we can find any)
and ignore fundamentals with NZ shares we would surely fail.  This has
happened with some of the 'penny dreadfuls' which seem to be favoured by
some Chatters.

It is interesting that there are different tax rates in the US for capital
gains and dividends - with cap gains lower. This could have a bearing on
some companies not paying dividends but retaining profits ?

BG