Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] directional movement

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 11:32:57 +1200

Good points Phil.
  I strikes me that a fundamental decision has to be made as to one's
objectives i.e Am I a Trader or an Investor with regard to this particular
stock, because the decisions required are totally different.  It seems that
often there is talk of long term gains related to a particular security but
then when there is some short term volatility (which has little bearing on
the long term ) panic sets in and the ' long term purchase ' is sold at a loss.
On the surface the reaction to many announcements seems to be quite
illogical but when looking at the broader picture it usually starts to make
some sense.
Taking the example of  ITC which was all the rage with Chatters a little
while ago. When the sale of Exo-net was announced the price went slightly
backwards . There was little comment from Chatters, possibly because they
were all in state of shock. However the reason the price didn't improve is
because it already had a built in premium, but it was reclassified as a
Long Term Buy.  Read the CIBC report (18/8/00) at the ITC web-site.
When ITC was launched there was so much enthusiasm that the price soared to
a ridiculous premium level (as has been the case with many tech stocks) but
inevitably there is a return to fundamentals and a settling back to
reality. The objectives of the Company haven't changed and so far the
achievements have been pretty good but those high prices were never
sustainable in the short term. IMO the current price is sustainable but we
won't really see any great improvement until the next financial figs are
produced in Dec. It's a long term investment.
Of course being an investor can be rather dull as patience is required and
we see all sorts of other tempting offerings popping up, so it is hard to
stick with our original convictions. But if the original decision  was
based on sound judgement why abandon it and turn into a trader, often
losing in the process?

BG
(hold ITC for the long term)