Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

[sharechat] RBD it's a Rear Breed of Dog

From: dskul deisel <bennie64@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:20:29 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree that RBD is a sell at current prices.

Those trying to ramp this share should be ashamed.

It has very little upside potential.Why? Firstly the
market is capped so their sales aren't going anywhere
startling.  Secondly the pizza market has a low
barrier to entry, so RBD will be continually battling
the latest Italiano start up, or challenging
McDonalds.  Thirdly their business model requires huge
investment in upgrades, fit-outs, and competitor
acquisitions and this destroys shareholder value.

Any budding entrepreneur can set up a Dial a Dinos
operation, and so just when RBD think that their
margins are ok along comes a new entrant and sloggs
them.  Their response is to buy them out and then try
and restore their margins ( Remember when Pizza Hutt
charged $20.00 per pizza?).  This requires investment
to recover what use to be RBD's customers. The spin
from the company is that they are establishing a
platform for growth but in reality they are re
-establishing their platform.  They are simply running
up a slippery slope!

It's also true that they can't their concepts outside
NZ.  So sales are capped. They only have a market of
3.8 million.

By owning the capital of the business they are tied to
a business model that requires high levels of capital
for reinvestment.  To release shareholder value this
company needs to adopt a different business model,
otherwise it will simply keep on turning in
lack-lusture profit results and keep repeating the
same PR lines.

Disclosure I buy the products but not the shares.