[sharechat] RPI offer: the good news

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:27:25 +1200

RPI stands for 'Rural Property Investments Limited'.    It is the vehicle
that Baird McConnen and Craig Norgate are using for their partial
takeover offer for Wrightsons, a company in which they want 50%
control.

I have been furiously studying the prospectus to see if I am going to
accept the offer for my WRI shares.  If the offer goes through, the good
points as I see it are these:

1/ We gain the experience of both Baird McConnen and Craig Norgate
on the board of Wrightsons.   Both of these men I believe will be great
assets to the WRI board which, astonishingly, currently contains no-
one who has fought their way up through either the retailing or
marketing industries.  Of course those who elect not to accept the offer
and remain WRI shareholders will also gain from this.

2/ Holders of the RPI notes will get a preferential allocation of ordinary
shares when RPI itself lists on the sharemarket, possibly in two or
three years time.   Even better, the preferentially issued shares will be
at a 5% discount to any public pool.

3/ If we get a sudden rise in inflation there is provision for the three
and five year preference share interest rates, currently set at 9% and
10.25% respectively, to rise according to a so called 'Reuters page
FISSWAP' formula.  In theory your relative return is protected should
interest rates rise dramatically.

4/ Noteholders get a more even distribution of income compared with
the shares which give you a small interim payout and a much larger
final payout.

5/ Noteholders return will not suffer if WRI is forced to start paying out
dividends without imputation credits.    RPI has agreed to 'top up
payments' so that preference shareholders would retain the same
gross interest return.

6/ There may be some interesting arbitrage opportunities down the
track if you continue to hold some shares while holding the notes
(preference shares).   However, I would caution noteholders that the
market for notes has traditionally not been a liquid as the market for
shares.

7/ If WRI shares continue to perform well, there is a commitment to a
small ( 4c to 8c per preference share) extra capital payout (which
unfortunately looks like being taxable) when the preference share
matures.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy