[sharechat] USD how low can it go.

From: "winner69 ." <wwinner69@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 07:45:59 +0000

The good old NZ$ hits US$0.70 cents and most pundits say it will probably go
higher as the US$ continues to slide.

Exporters bemoaning these events and the good old Govt sympathises with
them.

Personally life for me is heaps better with a high (strong?) NZ$.

Life was a misery when it was below US$0.40 only a few years ago. Exporters
were happy as was the Govt when it saw our current account deficit fall to
acceptable levels.

But no one showed much sympathy to those who hurt really badly because they
imported raw materials and couldn't pass on these extra costs.

Never mind - the world goes in cycles doesn't it.

What is being played out now seems so predictable - so much so what will
actually happen will probably be unpredictable.

Our old friend Greenspan did say the other day "When the future surprises,
history tells us, it often surprises us all"

All I know that NZ is a country living beyond it means. Like Americans we
continue to spend and are becoming more and more in debt. We live in a
country where most have all the latest whizz bangi things but in a lot of
cases basic infrastructure thiings are under pressure because the country
can't afford to keep them up to scratch.

As a country we only seem to compete on price. As such we need our dollar to
be below US$0.40 cents - and that isn't really that good for the country
either.

A strong currency surely is a good thing - as long as it doesn't cause pain
to some. If the currency was worth what it is today because we had used our
creativity to add real value to our natural resources than that would be
fantastic. We would deserve to have that strong currency.

However until we, as a country, are capable of doing that our dollar will
inevitiably be back down at US$0.40 - or is that too predictable?

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Ok to open attachment on A Potts USD hownlow can it go Allan Potts