[sharechat] Share Ticker Confusion (was MHI Chart)

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:08:30 +1300

Hi Gavin,

> Just wondering if we can avoid this sort of confusion in the future if
> people append a .NZ or .AU to the ticker symbol? Then we'll clearly be
> able to tell which market is being talked about - given that the list
> seems to spend a bit of time in both. So
>
> MHI.NZ = Michael Hill
> MHI.AU = Merchant House International Limited

Good idea.    The confusion gets bad when a ticker on one side of the
tasman represents a completely different share on the other side.  The
other one that always gets me is INL, which is of course 'Independent
News' on this side off the ditch.    Clarification is probably not quite so
critical if the code is unique in Australia and New Zealand.

Since this is a New Zealand forum, can I suggest we assume that if a
share ticker letter code is quoted, that code represents a New Zealand
share unless further qualified.    Otherwise something like

MHI (ASX)

or what Gavin quoted above should do the trick.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02