Re: [sharechat] STU (was Re: Telecom) question for Snoopy

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:59:02 +1300

Hi Steven,

>Snoopy wrote: "I cannot explain why Steel and Tube is now trading
>around the $4 mark...I have a rule of thumb that says when a share
>gets to 20% above fair value you should look to the sell button and
>look at an exit strategy."
>
>Therein lies the fundamental flaw of why using fundamental analysis to
>trade the markets is a losing game.

I use F/A to *minimise* my trading.  I trade as little as possible to keep
my costs down.   Did you know trading is a key indicator of
underperformance?    Generally the more you trade the worse your
overall return will be.

>If you try and trade the markets
>using what is fair value as a rule of thumb, you are going to miss out
> on some of the most substantial increases in stock market history.

True, just like Buffett did when he missed out on the tech boom.   He
also missed out on some of the biggest losses in sharemarket history by
staying out of an irrational market.

>People make their fortunes during these times, and if you're out of
>the market because of what you consider to be fair value, you're
>riding in the face of what the market is telling you and missing out
>on all the action.

And if you get in without knowing what fair value is you are very likely to
blow the lot.

>Why try and go against the market?

Because contrarian value investment is a proven investment strategy
which provides superior returns to chasing growth and trend following.

>Surely the
> object of the game is to beat the market. You can't do that if you're
> sitting on the sidelines with your eyes shut and hands over your ears
> saying the market got it wrong just because you think it is
> overvalued.

I never said the 'market got it wrong'.    The price is always right on the
market.   But the value may be undevalued or overvalued.    If you have
a choice, and you always do,  you pick what Mr Market undervalues, not
what Mr Market overvalues.

> True, you can make money buying undervalued shares and waiting for the
> market to catch up. But how long do you have to wait

Mr Market decides that, not me.

>and what about
> the opportunity cost of money you could be making in the meantime?

No opportunity cost.    The high income shares I invest in are paying me
a much better return than bank interest while I wait.

>As Mike Moore said,
> its important not to be right before your time.

That all depends on how much time you have.    One definition of the
sharemarket is a way to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02