Re: [sharechat] TEL/TLS Chart

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:58:45 +1300

Hi Rockbottom,

> Thankyou Phaedrus for that chart. If you convert the figures to NZ$
> you will find the Telstra shares have almost always had a higher share
> price than Telecom. There are of course exceptions In April 2000 the
> prices were about the same and in Apl, May, June 2003 Telecom broke
> through the Telstra price. This has now happened again.

An interesting observation there.   I tend to think of shares in their
'home market' currency.   Generally it will be the home market
investors that drive the share price.   Since NZ has adopted the
reserve Bank of Australia finance policy (tolerating inflation of up to 3%
and not worrying if short term one off events push it higher, not the
strict 2% we had before) my perception is that the $NZ/$A exchange
rate has been more stable than before the policy change.   Or maybe
that is only my perception  (I sense another assignment coming on for
Phaedrus here, if he's willing to take it on!).

If so I predict that the exchange rate volatility between each side of the
Tasman will become less of an issue in the future for trans tasman
share owners.

>The average Telstra premium in this period is about $1.10 but has
>fluctuated wildly between -20c to over $3.00.This variation has given
>the oportunity for traders to switch from one to the other. Taking
>history int accoumt it would be profitable now to switch to Telstra.

They often say history repeats itself, but taking into account the more
stable prospects for both TEL and TLS since the dot com boom I am
picking that it won't.   Given current company policy for both TEL and
TLS I see the price levels being very similar for both shares over the
next twelve months.    In other words not much scope for traders to
skip between the two any more.

The financially stronger Telstra is much more dominant in the total
Australasian market and is retaining a greater percentage of profits to
reinvest in its network, but is firmly under the thumb of the Australian
government in more ways than one.    OTOH, TEL is enjoying the very
weak regulation that exists in the NZ market  (being allowed to hold
onto its local loop), and it is paying good dividends after apparently
giving up on aggressive expansion into Australia.  TEL vs TLS an even
match for 2004c as I see it.

>Unfortunately for this scenario there may be some fundamental
changes
>taking place. Snoopy has commented on the higher dividend yield
from
>TEL and according to Rockbottom's theory of relativity TEL should be
>the preferred share (and high up the list of shares to buy).

For income investors I agree.    IMO the growth prospects of Telstra
are better though.  They are retaining more of their earnings to
reinvest in their business and technology is still-a-changing.

>But you can't buck the tide of history. So sell Telecom and buy
>Telstra for the short run. Longer term investers should buy Telecom.

Funny how the same facts can lead to competely opposite views from
different people.    By my assessment TEL is the short term play and
TLS is for the longer term.  It will be interesting to see who is right, or
maybe we just both have different understandings of the term 'longer
term' Rockbottom?

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy