[sharechat] Hybrid ta fa approach reply by macdunk

From: "Duncan MacGregor" <d-m_macgregor@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:00:56 +1300

Hi Gavin
              Each to their own, I can only comment on my method that works for me.   I use the FA approach to list well run honest companies with potential, and the same system to list companies that I would never consider.    The SNOOPY method If you like.
I then take a couple of lessons from PHEADRUS to see where they have been, and what the market expects.
I search for trends, this method relies on common sense and practical know how.    When a sector In my opinion starts trending I select the best run company In that sector, and Invest half the Intended amount with a strict stop loss.    If all goes well and the Investment behaves as anticipated I Invest the other half.   I always have a stop loss which varies with circumstances and never allow myself to become emotionally Involved.    I hold as long as the run lasts but am Inclined to jump to soon.  I spend a little time each night keeping track and sometimes do a little research on the practical front.     My decision Is based on a 20pc plus divi return expectation.     I would be Inclined to buy before the TA traders and sell before the FA traders.    Like HOOP I find that very simple straight common sense works best, others to their own systems, I dont want every Investor copying me [heavon forbid].
There will never be a computer program to buy that makes money without effort If there was we would all buy It some people are dumb enough to think there Is.     Stop losses get set to your level of risk tolerance and confidence.
Success requires effort with little effort the chances of success Is minimal.
                                cheers macdunk