Re: [sharechat] Scope - TA/FA Challenge

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:05:55 +1300

Hi Cristine,

I appreciate the initiative you have brought to sharechat.   Having
people go out there do their homework and tell us what they think is
what this forum is all about.    I am not saying that I agree with
everything you write, but then this forum would be a dull place all the
time if we all agreed with each other over everything, wouldn't it?

I notice that, characteristically, you have put significant time into
working out initial boundaries for a T/A vs F/A competition.   However, I
question the need for such an approach as the two techniques are not
necessarily mutually exclusive.

In simple english, if you start assuming that either F/A or T/A is 'better'
and draw up a test to 'prove it' one way or the other, the results will be
meaningless if the proposition you start with is flawed.

Furthermore, particularly my style of F/A is not amenable to such a
test.    Why not?    Because I make no predictions at all on timing, or
how long I will have to hold an investment before it comes right.   My
sole aim is to recognise undervalued situations.     I have no control
over when Mr Market wakes up and recognises the same
undervaluations that I do.

>If you proceed ...
>
>1) Suggested Time Frame, eg; 1.3.04 - 31.8.04? (All picks to be
posted
>by 1.3.04)

My minimum investment time frame is three years.    So tests on such
a ridiculously short timeframe of a few months are really of no interest
to me.    To any contemplating investing in the sharemarket when they
know they will need that money just a few months later, my advice is -
don't!

>2) Industry - all industries or specific?

I can't see any merit in restricting the universe of industry in which you
can invest.

>3) Blue Chip only or open field?

I think the key point here is that for a competition you need liquidity in
the shares that you trade in.  I would suggest that unless your share
trades every day, in reasonable volume on every day in which the
market is open, it is not a suitable candidate to be in any competition.

>4) Number of picks - 2 x ASX, 2 x NZX (each for FA & TA)?

Far too few shares I think.  I would say five is a minimum.   Anything
less and you are just running a random lottery.  In fact I would suggest
that running a share competition over a time frame of weeks , not
matter how many shares are selected, is akin to a random lottery
anyway.

>5) Valued on share price as at 1.3.04 and 31.8.04, or should value
>include total value, eg; dividends, etc?

Of course any competition could not proceed without including
dividends.   They are part of the investment returns so how could you
ever even contemplate excluding them?

> 6) Impartial Judge, or group consensus and if so what minimum or
> maximum number will represent consensus?

I think any result should be able to be measured.    No judge or
consensus should be necessary.

> 7) Number of entrants - limited or open field?

I guess you would want equal representation from each discipline.

>8) Extenuating circumstances: Will consideration be given when
>unforseen world or local events have a dramatic negative influence
and
>if so, will competition then focus on the best 1 out of the 2 to
> determine the victor? (Hence possible need for impartial judge.)

No exception for any extenuating circumstance.  It is the same for
every entrant.   There are many traders who do not understand the
concept of 'risk of ruin'.  That relates precisely to extenuating events
and this is what finishes most of them off financially in the end.

> 9) Volunteer to chart progress - weekly or monthly?

In any competition like this the only result that counts is the final one.

Oh, and one more thing on the Telstra T/A vs F/A exchanges on
Telstra in this forum recently.     Phaedrus claims that trading Telstra
would have been a far better proposition than buying and holding
Telstra, specifically over the last three years.  But the only information
he has given us is that he bought TLS around May 2003 and sold
around November 2003.     That is a mere six months.     Phaedrus
gave us no information on what he did with those Telstra funds in over
two years of unaccounted time.     I'm not saying that Phaedrus didn't
do better than I did over that period.    I am saying that he didn't give
us the information to allow us to make an effective comparison.

I guess the implicit implication of saying nothing is that you could have
your money sitting in the bank just waiting for the opportunity to land
that trade.    But one thing I would guess is that Phaedrus certainly
didn't do that.

Perhaps Phaedrus was off using the money to make other positive
trades, in which case good on him.   Perhaps he had a few net losing
trades.    Even if he did the latter, there is a possibility he still came out
ahead of me, or maybe I am ahead of him.    But declaring that he
made a 10-15% profit on Telstra shares over a six month period
neither proves nor disproves that he outperformed my buy and hold
strategy with TLS over the most recent three years.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02