RE: [sharechat] Carter holt whats up? by macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:31:53 +1300

Hi Gavin,

>Snoopy wrote:
>
>> Giving workers the sack in the lead up to Christmas
>> is probably no worse, all things considered,  than being
>> sacked at any other time.
>
> I think from both a public relations, and a personal perspective this
> is the worst time of year to do it. It will place more stress on a
> worker and family leading up to xmas - it's not like it is a stress
> free time of year, not to mention the high credit card bills that come
> in in January that have to be paid on one income or less now.

I think the laid off workers are being given a decent redundancy
payment.   That should be enough to wipe out any end of January
credit card bills.

>And it plain and simple is bad PR to do this at xmas time.

It is bad PR to have to lay off workers at any time.

> Never is a good
> time, but perhaps they could have waited till March, and used the
> excuse of the end of the financial year, and not lumped a load of
> stress on workers at the most stressful time of the year.

Waited until the end of March and left people looking for work going
into the winter season?    I would have thought that a lot of the
downsteam processing work from farming would take place after
Christmas.    So if you are a semi-skilled worker it might be quite a
good time to look for work.     Not that I would wish it on anyone, but if
you are going to be out of work for a few weeks, wouldn't summer be
the best time to be in that position?   Your power bills would be lower
for a start.

SNOOPY

   --
Message sent by Snoopy