Re: [sharechat] Carter holt whats up? by macdunk

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:11:19 +1300

Hi Macdunk,

>They are going to the dogs this company get the kennel ready.    They
>are breaking every rule of good business Rule n. o. one  never sell at
>the bottom of the market the most profitable part of your business, to
>expand In the least profitable part.

I tend to agree Macdunk.  I don't want to see the consumer goods
business go.   However, here is where we can do some of that 'lateral
thinking' you are so fond of.   Keep an ear out for who the buyer is.

Whoever does the buying, their share price will probably slump,
providing 'us' with a possible nice entry point.

>There utter contempt for their workers at the face Is legendary.
>    Ex {let It be known how much the
> idiot at the top gets paid, as they sack the workers and close plants
> down a couple of weeks before Christmas}.

Maybe I am overdosing on management spin, but the recent plant
closures were not unexpected.   There is no 'good way' to close a plant
that is beyond its use by date.   There is never a good time to sack
someone.  Giving workers the sack in the lead up to Christmas is
probably no worse, all things considered,  than being sacked at any
other time.   (I don't wish to trivialise being sacked, but I don't think it is
that much worse being sacked at Christmas).    If the sacked workers
have friends and family around them, perhaps Christmas is a sensible
time to contemplate the future?

> rule n.o. two
> never sell anything at the bottom of the cycle,
>especially when It grows at 4pc on Its own unless
>forced.to sell

Relax.  According to MD Peter Springford Carter Holt aren't selling the
forests.

> They contemplate setting up In china to process the timber and close
> down here.     That will be a great laugh, the Chinese will be rubbing
> their hands In anticipation.

Selling out to China doesn't seem to have done NZs clothing maker's
(sic) any harm.

Snoopy

--
Message sent by Snoopy