Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

[sharechat] portfolio tracking software?

From: "Darryl Lundy" <Darryl.Lundy@telecom.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:47:56 +1200

I just use Microsoft Money, and find that it can report ROI adequately over any
period you want (individually and across the portfolio(s) e.g. across shares,
bonds, property, NZ account, US account, etc).

Big downside however is that Microsoft have ever seen fit to implemently
automatic price updating for the NZSE (just ASX).
I understand that Quicken does a better job of capturing NZ prices.

The other negative to Money that irritates me a lot is that it doesn't track
changes in exchange rates very well - you can tack individual accounts or
investments in whatever exchange you need, but it translates these into the
local rate (NZD) at the current exchange rate.  It does not keep a history of
the previous exchange rates, but uses the current rate for all of the
historical calculations.  This makes a mockery of the returns reported for
investments in other currencies.
For example, if you bought Ford last month for US$20, at an exchange rate of
0.50, then sold it this month for US$60 at an exchange rate of 0.60, Money will
report a return of 200% [US$60 / US$20 -1], instead the correct gain of
150%[($60/0.60) / ($20/0.50) -1] - you actually made 200% on the stock, but
lost 50% on the exchange rate.

Thinking about it, I would probably switch tomorrow to something better if I
could (a) find something which addresses the two flaws above (without
introducing new ones) (b) automatically convert 10 years worth of data.

Regards
Darryl

Darryl Lundy
Senior Investment Manager