Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2003

[sharechat] One Year Profit Bonanza for Investors: FRS No.3

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:39:36 +1200

Financial Reporting Standard No.3 "Accounting for Property, Plant and
Equipment" looks likely to have played a major role in the reported
profitability of companies reporting their financial year result for any
financial year ended between 31st March 2002 and 31st March 2003.

In the case of AIA, this new standard is, in effect, what allowed AIA to
make the recent capital distribution to shareholders, because of the
associated large revaluation of assets in FY2002.    Details on this
relatively new New Zealand accounting standard may be found here:

http://www.valuersnelson.co.nz/outlook/1-02/financial.html

Effectively, as I read it,  it means the end of conservatively valued land
and buildings on company balance sheets.    The associated 'marking
up' of land values has the ability to put many companies into a position
where 'on paper' their debt/equity position is much improved.     My
(non-accountants) view on this document is that from here on out, the
party is over for land revaluations.  Three years out (three yearly
reviews are recommended) we will get minor tweaking of land values
at best.

Anyone working in this field like to confirm or deny my view?

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] ASB Securities john selby