Re: [sharechat] NZ Building Disasters and Inspectors

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:52:47 +0100

Without wanting to sound disrespectful, did you ask these jokers to
take responsibility for their work?

Realistically (I'm not defending obvious lack of care or people who
don't do their jobs to a good standard), there is only so much somebody
can do in half an hour. A serious inspection of a property might take
three or more hours and go the whole nine yards.

If somebody offers you travel insurance for $5.20 per annum, what do
you expect?

Now the real problem, I suspect, lies in the lack of a proper framework
for such inspections, and the hap-hazard reliance on inspections from
the current shambles by banks, mortgage-lenders, etc. If the
mortgage-lenders demanded proper inspections, with guarantees, both the
quality of inspections, and probably the cost, would increase.

Robin