[sharechat] WHS Chart

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 21:55:05 -0700 (PDT)

Skelessi,
         It is not the magnitude of the dip that generates the sell signal, it
is whether the price crosses below the moving average or not. On 1/10/02 WHS
closed at $7.05 when the 200 day moving average was at $7.05482. This is $7.05
in my book, so the price closed right on the moving average - certainly it did
not clearly and decisively break below it. Two months later on 28/11/02 WHS
closed at $7.08 when the 200 day moving average was at $7.12. This was a clear
break, and thus a Sell signal. I am surprised that you think this smacks of
hindsight - with hindsight I would have said that the first "signal" (fully two
months earlier) was the better one, surely?
 Here is how the weakness progressed :-
16/07/02 Break of Short-term moving average (60 day ema)
17/07/02 End of Uptrend (Lower Low after a lower High)
23/07/02 Trendline Break (I exited here)
24/07/02 Break of Medium-term Moving Average (120 day ema)
28/11/02 Break of Long-term Moving Average (200 day ema)
 I never use a 200 day ema myself - I put it on the chart because it is
commonly used by many conservative long-term investors to keep them on the
right side of major trends.
 Can I please explain why I did not see the impending dip as coming  sooner???
Skelessi, I didn't see it coming at all! All I saw (and reacted to) was the
increasing technical weakness of WHS. That's all. I was not surprised by the
later fall, but certainly did not forsee it. These signals are reactive, not
predictive.
       Regards,
                Phaedrus.