Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

Re: [sharechat] BIL takeover offer for Thistle

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 08:30:38 +1200

Hi DR,

> The current Mcap of BIL appears to be about NZ$ 560m (200m pounds
> max). The current value of BILs 220m THO is at least 250m pounds. So
> the rest of BIL is worth nothing in the eyes of the market.

That sounds about right.  But provided BIL can meet their interest
repayments (and I have done some homework that says that they can)
and sell Thistle at somewhere near its asset backing within the next 5-
8 years there will be some value left in BIL.  This is why IMHO, BIL
International shares are worth a punt.

>BIL wants to get hold of THO cash.

Yes they do, but there are other ways of getting it.   They could get
Thistle to pay out a bumper special dividend for a start.   But the way
BIL are going about it (a full takeover), BIL will get some of Thistles
cash, but also its liabilities.   BIL do not need Thistle's liabilities.

> A more practicable solution would be for BIL to give 1 THO for every 6
> BIL shares held by each shareholder to do as they must with. Any
> surplus / deficit to be traded to balance. For small holdings(say less
> than 500 THO) could be given cash.

Fantastic idea.   I nominate you to stand for the board of BIL, DR!

Unfortunately you won't get elected though.   Camerlin want to extract
the maximum value from BIL having a strategic stake in Thistle.
Distributing the shares pro-rata would destroy any strategic stake
value.   When they do find a buyer for Thistle, then  what's the bet
those BIL directors cash up millions of BIL share options (diluting the
reward of the other shareholders) as a gratuitous self congratulatory
gesture?

> Chances are the THO share price
> would rise once the Camerlin holding is released to a third party.

Actually I think the minorities might have to be taken out completely.  I
think there is a rule that if you bid for a company on the LSX and get
30% plus then you are required to go for 100%.     Can anyone
conform that?

IIRC the original BIL bid for Mt Charlotte Hotels (as Thistle was then)
was actually a mistake.  BIL made what seemed a silly low bid, not
expecting to gain control of the company, yet ended up with it.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02