Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] AMERICAN ECONOMY BY MACDUNK

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:07:54 +0000

Hi Dunc

On Wednesday, Mar 5, 2003, at 07:05 Europe/London, Duncan MacGregor
wrote:

> The American economy will drop for some some considerable time to come.

It's pretty clear that the US economy has more than its share of
problems. However, tides turn. But when?

> If they don't mind there

THEIR please. it's a possessive pronoun. :O) -- see:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000256.htm

> own business BUSH will bankrupt them.  IRAQ is only the start we still
> have KOREA to come.  I feel lucky to be here, its all about to happen,
> and at the moment good old NZ is the place to be.  If I had
> investments in AMERICA I would have them over here pretty smart.

No doubt there will be some investments that have liquidity issues,
with some investors exactly mis-timing, getting out while the US$ is
low and the economy suffering due to uncertainty, deficit issue,
globally-depression (add your woe here), and miss getting back in when
things start to pick up again because they want to see "solid signs of
recovery". Well, to get in on the foundations, you've got to have a
feel for how and when the building is going to piece together.

> The Yankee dollar seems to control our farmers margins the poor
> buggers in the cow sheds don't stand a chance the way its set up, they
> have lost control at the farm gate.

WRI, and others I guess, saw this type of volatility coming to some
extent, and made plans accordingly. Also, how long do you expect the
NZ$ to stay as high as it is?

> I still see a ray of hope for our market in a few stocks,

Yes?

> it only takes a little more time to find the ones least affected.  I
> would think oil will be a big problem all over again, so there goes
> oil dependent stocks [transport etc].

What will happen to these oil-sensitive businesses if there is a
"successful" (in capitalist terms) outcome to the Iraq issue?

> Gold is the in thing, my advice to those that think that way is get
> your hands on it and dig a big hole and bury it or forget it.  The
> time is right for all sorts of scams with gold I think we will see a
> few before to long.

Gold is no more prone to scams than anything else as far as I can see.
Highly speculative maybe, like treasure-hunting. Oh wait ... :O)

> The country to take over in the future is china, I expect america to
> self destruct with china taking over the role as king pin.  After all
> that I still will invest in our market its good fun, and not much of
> that lately, other other than the odd drunken shit fight in the cow
> shed on sat night with the farmer next door

Suggestion: The CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS AND THE REMAKING OF WORLD ORDER,
Samuel P. Huntington.

Bye just now ;-)

Robin