Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

RE: [sharechat] NZ Companies and Hedging

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 14:22:03 +0000

Hi Gordon,

>Don't forget that you are also in the physical market.  What you
>lose (or gain) on the hedge you'll even out in the physical market.

You purchase a forward exchange contract for next year, so that you
can use that $USD money to buy goods to put into your retail
'Warehouse'.   As soon as you do this, the bank will purchase that
amount of currency today and offer it to you in a years time at an
adjusted rate to mitigate the interest rate loss or gain over the
coming 12 months.

So, far from still being in the physical market, my understanding is
that as far as the physical purchase of US dollars goes, this means
you have brought the transaction forward (well the bank has done it
for you).  By taking out a hedge you have in effect *removed
yourself* from the physical market in one years time.  If you don't
agree please point out where I have gone wrong in this reasoning.

>Company hedging isn't about speculation, its about securing a known
>currency rate for a future transaction.

Yes, but why should a New Zealand company 'know' what the best
exchange rate for them to have is.   When the time comes should they
hedge at US45c, US46c or US47c?    Isn't their 'choice', whatever
they end up getting in the hedge contract, and although once chosen
fixed, a form of speculation in itself?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."