Re: [sharechat] Air NZ Chart

From: "Matthew Van Veen" <mattvanveen@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:42:24 +1200

Snoopy

I have decided to reeducate myself and am currently a "mature student" doing
a DIP BUS at AUT. One of my papers is Business Finance and a question in my
current assignments is "Describe and explain the factors that caused Air New
Zealands financial crisis in 2001".
Its due in next week. I put info together from the AIR website, treasury,
news clippings and sharechat archives. I will use the Chart that Phaedrus
kindly produced for me as an attachment with a basic explanation that you
have highlighted. The other recent rights issues were in Oct 96 and Oct
2000. Note though the price was long trending down prior since 1999 prior to
the purchase of the 2nd 50%. I still however can't measurably pin the blame
on one thing as there were various factors all beginning with the Aust Govt
and of perhaps the conflict of interest on the Air NZ board?

I think the story of Air NZ will be a case study for all NZ business
students for years to come as like ENRON possibly will be in US.

Feel free to offer more opinions - all will be a help. The question only has
a 1500 word limit.

Matt