Re: [sharechat] Air NZ Chart

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 19:33:22 +0000

Hi Matt,

It was interesting to see the Air New Zealand share price chart again
and we can thank Phaedrus for it.

However, what do you intend to do with this chart?   I would suggest
that considering any of those share price figure plot points before
the capital reconstruction became inevitable late last year is not
wise.

Now, I know that Phaedrus would say that the chart is only an
approximation, as it doesn't allow for dividends cash issues and
whatever else.   However, I would go much further than that.  So much
capital was introduced into Air New Zealand during the
government reconstruction that if you attempt to use the chart as
presented, not only is it inaccurate, it is *dangerously misleading*.

Immediately before and immediately after the capital reconstruction
the underlying business did not change instantly.  However, instead
of the AIR shares listed on the stock exchange representing the
whole company, those same shares were only representing 18% of the
business.  To account for this, you have to scale down the figures
before this reconstruction time period accordingly.  What you must do
is take the closing share price before the reconstruction and scale
them by 18/100 or 0.18.   Take an example:  The share price closed at
$1.58 at the end of year 2000.   However, on your graph you will need
to use the figure $1.58 x 0.18 = 28c.   Only by doing this will you
be able to glean anything meaningful from this chart.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."