Re: [sharechat] Study finds five ports overcharging

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:26:02 +0000

Hi Marilyn,

>O no they are not!
>
>Well maybe just a bit, but not as much as the study funded by The
>Captive Port Customers' Group makes out.
>
>Shipping companies have been able to obtain port handling charges
>concessions from port co's over recent years.
>
>The wary eyes with which Auckland-Tauraunga and Lyttelton-Timaru
>watch one another suggest that competitive pressures operate.
>
>Quote;
>
>"The ports' rate of return estimated in the study were:
>Lyttelton, 19.7 per cent; "
>
>I reckon that the result obtained by Lyttelton is in part
>attributable to balance sheet discipline.

I agree Marilyn, although in this case the discipline has been forced
on LPC by Christchurch Mayor Gary Moore, and his council.   They
want the money from the return of capital special dividend to avoid
blowing the budget out on the new city Art Gallery.

What are your thoughts on the new king sized container ships?  I know
that LPC is after them.  But they are competing with Timaru and Port
Chalmers (Dunedin) as there is only going to be one port of call
for these ships in the South Island.

I haven't followed the North Island situation so closely.  Are
Tauranga and Auckland locked in a knockout battle for these ships?
Or can they both be winners?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."